Mailbox Peak
Hiking, Scrapbooking

Mailbox Peak and a scrapbooker’s worst nightmare

Ever since I started researching local hikes last fall, I’ve wanted to go to Mailbox Peak. It’s one of Mount Si’s neighbors and got its unofficial name from the mysterious mailbox that appeared on the summit sometime during the 1950’s – the mailbox has been replaced several times (and for a while the peak housed a fire hydrant), and the hike has become somewhat of a kitsch training ground for local mountaineers. It’s supposedly one of the hardest hikes in the Puget Sound area…I believe it: 4150 feet of elevation gain over only 2.5 miles. Phew.

Anyhoo, I was feeling cocky after not having a heart attack on Mount Si, so I decided I was ready for Mailbox (hah!). We drove to North Bend, found the trailhead, laced up our boots…and realized there was no memory card in our camera. Gaaaah! Since 99% of the people who read this are scrapbookers, I’m sure y’all can understand just how much this sucked. This is how our photos, taken with JK’s ridiculous cell phone camera, look. Sigh.

Mailbox Peak

Oh well, at least I have the memories. And I’m sure my thighs will still be sore a couple of weeks from now as a reminder of just how freaking steep this trail was. Man alive! Going up wasn’t that bad, you just have to pace yourself (I’m sure I broke the record for the slowest ascent of Mailbox ever), it’s the going down part that sucks. With my rotten ankles, I really had to concentrate with every step I took (I definitely hold the record for the slowest descent) – my thighs are just screaming today.

Anyway, I did it. It was awesome. You’ll just have to believe me when I tell you that it’s beautiful up there…

Speaking of hiking and why on earth I put myself through this stuff, here’s my first layout from our vacation:

On Top

• Reply neeta June 2, 2008 at 12:25 am

Utrolig flott layout! Herlige farger og kjempeflotte bilder:)

• Reply Kirsten June 2, 2008 at 12:33 am

*dåner*
    Du er ufattelig sprek da, men gud hjelpe meg- minnekortkriser er virkelig ikke med på å gjøre dagen fantastisk…
    Du må nok vurdere turen en gang til en annen gang *hihi*
    Stor klem!

• Reply Anette S June 2, 2008 at 2:46 am

iiik! Minnekortkrise! Dere får gå opp igjen og ta nye bilder! Utrolig fin LO og veldig fin journaling! Du må ha en vill viljestyrke og det beunderer jeg virkelig!

• Reply Joscie June 2, 2008 at 8:49 am

You look great! and congrats on the awesome hikes! I love that page! :)

• Reply Courtney June 2, 2008 at 10:04 am

Awesome job getting to the top! My boyfriend and I recently hiked a butte here in Eugene, OR and it was an awesome feeling when we finally made it to the top. I’m not much of a hiker (yet) but we are going to really try and hike once a week since there are so many trails and such around here. Great job making it to the top and getting down ok! I love love love that page you did as well.

• Reply kellyangelo June 2, 2008 at 11:06 am

Love the layout! Do you print up your own pictures or have them printed somewhere?

• Reply Camilla Gjerde June 2, 2008 at 3:54 pm

Nok en flott layout fra deg. Og gratulerer med en fjellbestigning til, du er dyktig altså!!

• Reply bibbi June 2, 2008 at 10:08 pm

Oi, tuuuusen takk for link Ingunn! Det var jammen meg litt av en oppmuntring å våkne til! :)

• Reply Mark Griffith June 3, 2008 at 6:02 pm

I didn’t know you had a blog. ;) Did you know that you can include photos on your blog from Flickr so you don’t have to post them twice?

See this as an example :

• Reply Linn June 6, 2008 at 2:22 pm

Det høres ut som en fantastisk tur opp fjellet :)
    Gleder meg til å følge fortsettelen og husk minnekort neste gang… ;)