2485071233_c004765118_b
Southwest, Travel

Road Trip part three: Page, Arizona

I seem to have neglected my road trip recap, so here’s part three. After our beautiful hike in Zion, we drove southeast to Page, AZ. The main goal for our stay there was to see Antelope Canyon, probably the most famous (and certainly the most photographed) slot canyon in the world.

Antelope Canyon is located in the Navajo Nation, so if you want to see it you will have to go with a Navajo guide. Unfortunately, there are 5-6 different guide services and they all cram as many people into the canyon as possible. Instead of getting to explore this amazing canyon on your own, you’ll spend most of your time waiting in line and looking at this:

Unfortunately...

At least there’s also this:

Passage Vere, our guide
It is in darkness one finds the light To see the world in a grain of sand

Trio

By the time our tour was over, we were so sick of humans that we decided to go where they weren’t – the beach! Lake Powell was formed by the damming of the Colorado River and is the second largest man-made lake in the U.S…and apparently it is insanely cold in April. No wonder we were the only ones there :o)

Lake Powell

JK captured our looks of horror/hypothermia as we braved the water:

Swimming in Lake Powell

Before driving on the next morning, we stopped by Horseshoe Bend. I have to say, this is one of the most awesome things we saw on the entire trip – even more breathtaking than the Grand Canyon. The drop-offs are insane though – if I ever bring kids here, they’re all going to be on leashes!!

This was one of my favorite places from the entire trip

...Horseshoe Bend!

Next stop: Grand Canyon South Rim!

• Reply raquel June 3, 2008 at 4:45 pm

Wow! Your pictures are amazing!!! I lived in Arizona for about 17 years and I’ve never been to the Grand Canyon….my parents decided to take the trip when I moved out of the house….go figure!!! Lol! Hopefully some day I’ll make it there!

• Reply Lene S June 3, 2008 at 11:23 pm

For noen bilder!! For et område… skulle veldig gjerne ha vært med disse hikene deres ;o)

Ha en fin dag :o)

(PS. Har du fått papirene?)

• Reply Kitiara June 3, 2008 at 11:26 pm

I just love these pictures. Youre really talented in taking awesome pictures I must say. After seeing these, I want to go traveling too! Just beautiful! I live in Finland and these kinds of sights are impossible to see here. :-) The Horseshoe Bend looks amazing.

• Reply ania June 3, 2008 at 11:56 pm

Ahmaziiing!!!! Og lol til fotografbildet :D

• Reply kellyangelo June 4, 2008 at 5:42 am

Beautiful pictures! A shame that it was so crowded. I felt similar about visiting Stonehenge this year. It kind of takes away from the vast open spaces when there’s always people in the background of your pictures! You managed to get some good ones anyway!

• Reply Jaimie Mulheron June 5, 2008 at 10:17 pm

I’d say the wait was worth it! Great Photos!!!

• Reply Jorunn June 6, 2008 at 7:59 am

Wow, for noen formasjoner og farger, det må være utrolig spennende og oppleve alt dette og ikke minst få muligheten til å fotografere det :D Bildene deres er utrolig flotte!!!

• Reply Kristine June 7, 2008 at 1:08 am

Åååå, fy flate for noen utrolige bilder!! Helt sinnsyke! Et eldorado for fotoglade mennesker som meg!
    Takk for at du deler! Det er første gang innom bloggen din og jøss så imponert jeg er!
    Klem fra Kristine