3018045471_964914e872_b
Life

Juneuary

I had never heard this expression before moving to Washington (go figure), but man alive is it ever appropriate. Juneuary can mean one of two things; the freakishly warm and sunny weeks of January or the horrible, horrible, horrible #%@&ing weeks of COLD BLOODY RAIN in June.

I was re-reading The Measure of a Mountain: Beauty and Terror on Mount Rainier by Bruce Barcott last night (because it’s an excellent read and because I appear to have run out of books), and he describes the feeling so well:

The Pacific Northwest boasts a long and honorable tradition of rain-soaked misery. […] The stuff puts you on edge. It feels as if nobody’s showered or shaved in three days. The civility that Northwesterners wear like a hand lotion washes away; some snap at one another, some just snap. About the ninth or tenth day, everybody looks at each other and says, “Goddamn it’s been raining.”

Even running intervals at the gym isn’t providing the necessary endorphins anymore. If anyone knows a better cure than I have found (burrowing under blankets on the couch, inhaling vitamin D, fattening foodstuffs and copious amounts of alcohol), please tell me now. My thighs/liver/friends will thank you.

• Reply J-K June 6, 2008 at 1:34 pm

1 freakishly warm and sunny week of January = Janune
    1 horrible week of cold rain in June = Junuary

The weeks are swapped!

• Reply Courtney June 6, 2008 at 1:50 pm

Yeah it’s not too much better south here in Eugene. It’s freaking cold! Try a multi vitamin with B6 and B12. It may at least have a placebo effect! Here’s hoping for warmer weather.

• Reply Elizabeth Hicks June 6, 2008 at 9:30 pm

rain, ARGH! Well hopefully you curl up with a good book and enjoy some good cuddle time. Just dropping by to say hi!

~Liz

• Reply Joscie June 7, 2008 at 3:38 pm

uhhhh, come on vacation to Hawaii?

• Reply kellyangelo June 8, 2008 at 4:15 am

We’re having a bit of Juneuary here in England, too. Give me sunshine!!!

• Reply Samantha June 9, 2008 at 6:24 pm

Well, Ingunn, I feel your pain. Actually, I *felt* your pain. My hubby and I finally had had enough of the never-ending rain and gloom up in WA, so we took drastic measures and moved to CA!! So, if it’s an option for you to move to an area that has sunshine all year long, then I say go for it. I know my butt, thighs, and hips are thanking me for getting out of there.

I do hope it stops being stormy up there for you, though. I truly know how frustrating it can be. {HUGS}

• Reply Elizabeth June 9, 2008 at 11:08 pm

Ummm, no! I’m in Redmond and, so far, drinking heavily and stuffing my face has not helped. I moved here almost 2 years ago from CA and I’m not sure I will ever get used to it :)

• Reply Annika June 12, 2008 at 11:41 am

Great pictures from your trip!
    Annika