Scrapbooking

Getting organized

This has not been a good week in the Markiewicz household. Just as I was getting better from my cold last week, JK came home with some evil bug that has kept him home for three days (and JK is never sick), and now my body appears to have decided that resistance is futile so I’m coming down with it too. Our house is full of germs. Okay, the rest of this post is for obsessive scrapbookers only. Everyone else must look away or you’ll think I’m insane.

Since I have so much free time on my hands, I’ve decided to finally take Stacy Julian’s Library of Memories class. I signed up for this in the spring, but I didn’t make it all the way through. Luckily, Big Picture Scrapbooking gives you passes to revisit the classroom later. If you haven’t read any of Stacy’s books and don’t know what this whole system is about, you can read two very descriptive blog posts here and here – it goes deeper than just sorting layouts and photos.

After a period of dissatisfaction with this hobby, the biggest point for me is to make my scrapbooks meaningful so I won’t look back on them years from now and think what *is* this crap?? There is a difference between scrapbooking photographs and scrapbooking memories, and I want to focus on the latter.

Today I’ve started sorting and categorizing my layouts so I can put them into the right albums. For such a messy person, organizing is making me surprisingly happy!

Getting organized

I have to admit that as an incorrigible perfectionist, I am also weeding out the pages that are just plain meaningless (and serve no greater purpose than taking up space) and the downright fugly ones. I’m going to try to “fix” some semi-fugly ones as well. I just don’t want to end up with 700 huge albums full of crap.

Anyway, the implementation of this system takes time and can seem somewhat frustrating in the beginning. I’m sorting my photos digitally as it seems less wasteful than printing everything (and I start most of my layouts on the computer anyway) and luckily I’ve been good at weeding my folders before, but going through and tagging all of our photos is taking forever.

I’m also having trouble distinguishing between the Places We Go and Things We Do categories (like gaaah, where do my hiking layouts go?) – I guess I’ll just have to make some executive decisions there, after all it will eventually be my personal system and there is no right or wrong. I’ll just keep telling myself that… ;)

If anyone else is using this system I would really appreciate some insight or words of encouragement!

Alrighty, now it’s back to tissues and Dayquil.

• Reply Donna October 9, 2008 at 2:53 pm

Aww hope you feel better soon, love those little piles of your layouts, I WISH I had that many ;) good look with lom system it sounds like a really great idea.
    Donna x

• Reply Erica Hettwer October 9, 2008 at 4:45 pm

Maybe put one time only hikes in Things We Do and hikes that you do a lot in Places We Go. Or, you could just have an album about hiking. :D

Feel better! And, don’t let him get you sick for CKC! :D

• Reply Jeanne Ann October 9, 2008 at 6:12 pm

Sorry that you have the “bug” again so soon. As far as LOM goes I found that it is definitly personal preference. As Erica in the previous post suggested about the one-time only hikes in the Things We Do category. I love my system and after it is initially set up it makes things so much easier. I love my category drawers! Good luck with the sorting, and hope that you are feeling better soon.

• Reply Alina October 10, 2008 at 6:35 am

awww, don’t change them! they are a reflection of you at that time, they show you how much progress you’ve done and documents something that you though was worth remembering (even if you don’t feel that way now).
    I think you should keep them all just the way they are, but that is, of course, ultimately your call :)

• Reply ania October 10, 2008 at 7:51 am

Interessant, skjønt jeg vil si at du scrapper da mest det sistnevnte etter det ejg kan se :P Og er ikke alle bilder minner? :) (legg de andre i en bananeske ellerno =) )

• Reply Joscelyne Cutchens October 10, 2008 at 11:54 am

I was thinking the same, maybe hiking could be it’s own category. I hope you feel better soon! :)
    PS, I love your blog, come see: http://www.cutchens.com/2008/10/i-love-your-blog-too/

• Reply marianne hope October 11, 2008 at 10:55 am

God bedring og lykke til med system lagingen, ha, ha.

• Reply Tracy October 11, 2008 at 7:46 pm

Good for you!! I just finished reading Stacy’s book on Library of Memories, and I too am going to “sort” photos digitally. I have everything organized by date, and have the files “renamed” do I can search for them, but I want to create folders and file copies in them that I know I want to scrapbook.

Anyway – I think hiking is something you do… but is also places you go. So I am no help. ;) Good luck!

• Reply Hanna October 14, 2008 at 6:52 am

Jasså, du har vært online uten å gi et pip fra deg til meg?! Skuffa!

Jeg har kjøpt masse scrappeting i håp om at jeg en gang orker å sette meg ned å gjøre noe ut av det, men har heller vært dårlig med det. Du er utrolig flink da! Håper alt står bra til meg deg og JK =)

• Reply kl October 15, 2008 at 10:34 pm

seems we’re starting down the same path ;)
    xo

• Reply покрышки November 30, 2008 at 2:20 am

hi
    Very interesting resource, thank you.
    by to wait!

• Reply ~M~ March 17, 2009 at 1:15 pm

I am so flattered to be included as the reference to LOM in such a gorgeous blog. I am taking the class now and both enjoying having my own burning issues addressed…. as well as really fighting internally with all the “growth and change” this sort of thing entails.

By the way — the wedding photos and Los are gorgeous! What a handsome couple!

• Reply Fix My Script April 28, 2009 at 2:29 pm

Fix My Script offers practical, low cost script installation and website building solutions for people with high standards. Our proven expertise and total commitment to quality enables us to provide the most comprehensive service in the industry. Fix My Script programmers can install, debug and test PHP scripts, fix script problems and errors.

• Reply Dumzoorb January 12, 2013 at 4:19 pm

buy prada handbags outlet GRjlucUT [URL=http://pradaonlineshop0.medykblog.pl/]prada online shop[/URL] for more detail MTZqOSJZ http://pradaonlineshop0.medykblog.pl/