Hiking, Me

A New Dawn

Just like last February, I’m going through the winter blues. Bah. I’m having trouble sleeping, I wake up with no energy at all, and then get frustrated because there are so many changes I want to make in my life but it’s so overwhelming that I don’t know where to start. I know I am being too hard on myself and some of the things I am disappointed with are way beyond my control.

For now I’m staying focused on training for various mountain adventures we will hopefully be able to go on this year. This involves huffing and puffing up steep hills with a 30-50 lb pack on my back, and more cardio in the gym. I’m learning to enjoy running. I feel like mountains and exercise are the only things that are keeping me sane right now. Maybe we’ll have to consider a sunny vacation this spring after all, if we can afford it. It certainly helped last year.

Sunrise over Mount Washington

On Tuesday we joined Mark and some of his colleagues for a Dawn Patrol to Rattlesnake Ledge. In order to see the sunrise, we had to get up at 4:30 AM, drive to North Bend and hike up in the dark – but it’s always worth it. Even when I have to do it on less than two hours of sleep.

Next week we’re going to try to get up early (sleep or no sleep) to meet Carlos at the gym before work instead of doing it at night. It’s going to be absolutely brutal those first days but I’m hoping it will eventually help my sleeping habits and energy level. Now that I’ve outed our plans here, hopefully I’ll feel like I have to do it.

Postcards from the ledge

I know it’s a cliché , but the serenity prayer feels very appropriate these days.

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.

If that fails there’s always Serenity Now

• Reply Holly February 6, 2009 at 5:52 pm

That last picture is A) breathtaking in its beauty, B) serene, and C) Makes your legs/ass/all over shape look great. FOR THE WIN.

• Reply Libby February 7, 2009 at 12:40 pm

I imagine all your exercise must help with the Winter Blues. I think we all get this way about different seasons when they seem to go on and on. Right now I’ve had quite enough of HOT weather. It’s too hot to be outdoors so I’ve been sitting inside nearly all week. Oh well we’ll be moving in Autumn soon and you into Spring.
    Hope the early morning exercise helps with your sleeping. Since starting RCR and exercising EVERY morning I’ve been sleeping like a baby :-)

Libby

• Reply Tracy February 7, 2009 at 6:14 pm

Kudos to you for making a plan and trying to stick to it!! I wish you the very best of luck!! And you do look great in that last photo! ;)

• Reply Skaubytrollet February 8, 2009 at 9:34 am

Heisann!
    Er innom og titter litt, og suger til meg litt (masse) inspirasjon :)
    Ha en fin og kreativ uke ;)

• Reply Samantha February 8, 2009 at 10:28 pm

The winter blues – I sure do remember those. I can’t tell you how much it has helped my mood to move back down to CA. I wish I could bottle up some of our sunshine and send it over to you! You can always come visit me down here :) I’m only an hour away from the tallest peak in the continental US. We can go climb that! I’m really happy you’re finding the joy in exercising. Oh, and I’ve climbed up to Rattlesnake Ridge – it’s beautiful!! HUGS!!

• Reply bibsleeld March 15, 2009 at 9:39 am

Спасибо гигантское за предоставленную сообщение. Существо рад разместить ее у себя на дневнике. Если Вы не против, то я так и совершу.Если имеемся какие-то проблеммы со копирайтом, постучитесь на мой дневник,я целое исправлю. Так же сложил Ваш должность на соцзакладки. Вообщем если что обращайтесь, – постоянно выслушаю и разгадаю. Со, почитанием, Firestarter.