Albums, Hiking, Scrapbooking, Southwest, Travel

Desert Scrapbook

Alright, so I kept waiting for JK to be able to help me photograph this album, but the only days he came home early enough we were too busy – so here’s a lovely mish-mash of porch photos and scans of the pages I’ve made so far. The album is an 8×8 corduroy album from American Crafts in the most desert-like color I could find. The page protectors are from We R Memory Keepers, but unfortunately they didn’t fit the album – I had to punch two extra holes in each protector. Lame.

I wanted the album to really focus on the photos, so I chose white and grey cardstock as my base, no patterned paper (there’s so much color in the photos already!) and minimal embellishments – just those cute butterflies from Quickutz, cut out in different sizes with my Silhouette. This page is from our first hike of the trip, to Cable Mountain in Zion National Park:

Cable Mountain

I’m using the same fonts throughout the album: Century Gothic for journaling, CK Becky for the “handwritten” titles and Modern No. 20 for the rest of the titles.

If you live in St. George (or anywhere in Utah for that matter), you must visit Snow Canyon State Park. We ended up there as a backup when our backpacking trip in Zion got rained out, and we were so happy it happened!

Petrified Dunes

To go with the butterfly theme (ok, so it was just an excuse to finally use them…), I’m adding butterfly transparencies from Hambly between some of the pages. I love those things.

Petrified Dunes

To make the pages easy to put together (since I have yet to actually finish an album…), I’m using a bunch of divided 4×6 page protectors, and a lot of the designs are based on 4×6 or 5×7 photos – the 8×8 size is perfect for this!

This is from Bryce Canyon National Park where we hiked an excellent little loop:

Hiking Among Hoodoos

After Bryce we spent some time in Valley of Fire State Park in Nevada. Again, everyone should visit this place! Lots of little hikes and areas to explore, and the best campground you’ll ever find (free showers!).

White Domes

We avoided Vegas (ugh, Vegas) like the plague and chose slot canyons over slot machines:

Slot Machines

Valley of Fire was where we saw our favorite animals of the trip (antelope ground squirrels and chuckwallas!) and our absolute least favorite animal (rattlesnake, eep!!):

Life in the Desert

I attached the butterflies to the outside of some of the page protectors because it looked more interesting – let’s see how long it takes before they fall off.

Ephemeral Arch

…and here’s a mushy closing page (for the time being) with a collection of some of our self-portraits.

I <3 You

Happy vacation, happy album, happy me! The full trip report is on nwhikers.net.

Vacation album in the making

• Reply Holly May 29, 2009 at 8:59 pm

I love it! Especially the mushy page. :)

• Reply Ann-Katrin May 29, 2009 at 11:58 pm

WOW, love your style! Digger stilen din og sidene dine er så stilfulle. Itillegg til flotte bilder og flotte motiver.

• Reply Libby May 30, 2009 at 1:21 am

Hi Ingunn,

The ablum has come together just beautifully. You have done such a fantastic job, as the photos, which were already fantastic, look even better scrapbooked the way you have done. LOVE IT!!!

• Reply Leanne Stamatellos May 30, 2009 at 2:18 am

especially love the self portrait page – thank yo for sharing

• Reply sharon May 30, 2009 at 4:27 am

Wow. Gorgeous album showcasing stunning photos (as always!) Your style is so clean and consistant and always fresh – love it all!

Just one thing: do you print your own photos (esp the collages or those with large photos?)

I’ll be looking at these again for inspiration!

Also, have wanted to ask for ages – have you scrapped your own wedding photos? I’ ve been looking for some inspiration, and love your style..just wondering if you might share a page or two?

Can’t wait to see the results of your next hike! ;-)

• Reply rachel mai May 30, 2009 at 8:18 am

I so wish I could avoid Vegas–oh wait, I live here. At least, we avoid the slot machines. :) Valley of Fire is only 25 minutes from our house–YES! And we just got back from our annual Zion excursion. AMAZING! You are inspiring me all over again.

• Reply Raquel May 30, 2009 at 9:15 am

Your album is beautiful! The pictures really stand out and they are just amazing! Don’t know if you remember, but the last time we kind of corresponded was when I was living in South Carolina. I had left a comment a while back about your visit to The Valley of Fire in Nevada, and I had told you that my family lives in Overton and Logandale a few miles from the Lake Mead area entrance……anywho, the Army has stationed us in Utah! My hubby reinlisted just so we could get stationed here. We are living on Dugway Proving Grounds. I love it here! Utah is a recreational gem of a state! I never want to leave! There is always something to do and see and I really would just like to slap anybody who says there’s never anything to do here! lol!

I am just always amazed by your photos! I was just wondering if you could share any tips or pointers on how to take great photos out there in midday! The desert sun is harsh, but your photos are fantastic! Do you use any filters and post processing? I would love to know! We are doing a lot more hiking, camping, and and fun new stuff that I want to document, but my photos come out so bland and somewhat hazy. Anything you could share would be great!!!!

• Reply tangent May 30, 2009 at 11:02 am

Så utrolig nydelig og gjennomført album! Liker stilen din veldig godt, og beundrer deg for å klare å lage et helt album i samme stil, men samme fonter osv… selv vingler jeg fra det ene til det andre hele tiden.

• Reply Wendy Z. May 30, 2009 at 4:20 pm

Ingunn….I love your blog, your photos, and your scrapbook pages. I also love hiking. So your entries are so inspirational to me. I’ve now lengthened my list of hikes I want to do based on your beautiful pictures!!

• Reply nina May 30, 2009 at 8:22 pm

Gorgeous, as always! Stunning photos and I just absolutely love your scrapbook style. If I could make my pages half as appealing I’d be happy!

• Reply Jen Wozab May 30, 2009 at 9:18 pm

This is an absolutely beautiful album. I’m now inspired to make an album of my trip to Zions. And guess what, I’m going to Bryce next week so I can add those photos to the album too. It was so great meeting you randomly in the park and I love reading your blog.

Thanks for sharing!

• Reply melles-world May 30, 2009 at 10:58 pm

Hello from Germany!
    I’m overwhelmed. This Album and especially the pictures are really really phenomenal.

• Reply Eli Kristin June 1, 2009 at 3:32 am

Hei Ingunn, ett ord – FANTASTISK!!! :D
    Lurer også på hvordan du får så flotte bilder i slikt sterkt sollys som i ørkenen?!

Tusen takk for at du deler, har gitt meg en suuuper idè for hvordan jeg skal bygge opp albumene mine nå. Ha ei flott pinse (resten av den)!

Hilsen fra Florø :P

• Reply Lauren June 1, 2009 at 11:13 am

Thank you for sharing these shots of your album! I love to see how things all come together in others scrapbooks! As always, I adore your little, graphic style!

• Reply Samantha June 1, 2009 at 8:00 pm

BEAUTIFUL album!! I love your clean and simple style. I’ll have to take your cue and do the same for my Valley of Fire album! And your picture are just gorgeous :)

• Reply marianne hope June 2, 2009 at 3:18 am

stilig album med nydelige bilder! Ha en flott uke!

• Reply Ania June 2, 2009 at 5:09 am

• Reply Ania June 2, 2009 at 5:10 am

Teksten min forsvant pga hjertet jegs krev. Ohwell :p

• Reply Tracy June 2, 2009 at 6:04 pm

Love this!! What a great job – the pages all coordinate, yet they are all unique! I really like the 8×8 pages for 4×6 photos – I hadn’t seen those before!!

• Reply MaryRuth Francks June 14, 2009 at 9:14 pm

I loooove your pages! So great!!

Where did you get the 8×8 pages for 4×6 photos? Such a great idea!

• Reply Kris July 30, 2009 at 8:41 pm

I love your layouts! What a beautiful adventure.

• Reply ToneF August 12, 2009 at 10:58 pm

Åh, for et lekkert album!!! Og for noen fantastiske bilder altså. Jeg kan sitte og se og se og se på alle de superflotte bildene dine fra turene! Og de helt alldeles perfekte LO’ene som du lager med de fotte bildene… sukk…

Ha en fin dag :o)

• Reply Ken & Diane February 21, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Wow, What a amazing scrapbook. I have been to Utah and I found it was the most beautiful state I have ever seen. The arches park even the petrified forest are cherish memories. I congratulate you on being able to preserve these memories.

• Reply Scrapbook Titles & Quotes September 19, 2011 at 1:38 pm

I love this as much as I love scrapbooking!

• Reply Jessica May 23, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Gorgeous album! I love everything you create & your photography is AMAZING!
    Do you use templates for your album? And scrapbook pages? Would love to know what ones you use for this album.

• Reply bing November 3, 2015 at 2:52 am

I like this post, enjoyed this one appreciate it for putting up. “‘I have done my best.’ That is about all the philosophy of living one needs.” by Lin Yutang.

• Reply ジバニャン コマさん ウィスパー 布団 ふとん 組布団 キャラクターグッズ November 19, 2015 at 4:42 pm

魅力的な対話は、値コメントです。それにもかかわらず、| | それはそれはだこの問題に余分を書くために、それは私がいることを感じる可能性かもしれ |ただしそれにもかかわらず 通常 人々このようなトピックについて話すのに十分ではありません。次へ| に向けへ。この夢中|乾杯の