House, Me

A house is not a home

Depression isn’t something you just suddenly snap out of; for me it’s been more of a gradual awakening. For every week that goes by my head feels a little bit clearer, my soul a little bit lighter, and I am starting to feel like I really want to participate in the world again. I feel like I wasted age 18-25 and now I just want to make up for everything that I missed.

After years of not caring about much of anything at all, I’m trying to put the pieces of my life back together.

Animals in our house

One of the big things for me is to make our little townhouse feel more like a home, so we’ve spent a lot of time over the last couple of weeks decluttering and organizing stuff. Now that I feel less cluttered as a person, I want our house to reflect that as well. Oh, and it would also be nice to be able to have people over without having to spend an hour cleaning first. Yeah…

Now that we have some progress in our living room, I decided to take some photos. The fact that I now keep the blinds on our windows completely open feels oddly significant (please stop me if I sound like a self-help book); I used to keep them shut all the time and just hide in my dark little cave.

Living room

I just got the new IKEA catalog in the mail and I think a shopping trip is in order (have I mentioned how much I hate shopping). I want to put a little bookshelf in the corner between the fireplace and the stairs to help contain the ever-growing mess that is my library – I’ve been good and very strict and am selling/donating all the books except my all-time favorites and the ones I know I am going to read again, but we still don’t have enough shelf space.

Couch potato view

If we can fit it in our ridiculously narrow living room, I also want a comfy chair that would complete a circle around our coffee table. Now it just feels so tv-centric.

Long and skinny

It feels so nice and light and airy in here now, I love it! My next project will have to be to make the bedroom feel the same way so we can wake up and feel good about ourselves every morning. Unfortunately this means going through the imposing mountain of ill-fitting clothes that is taking up all the space in my closet and sorting them for trash and donation. Bah!

• Reply Jaime Lynne August 7, 2009 at 2:46 pm

You live in a beautiful space, Ingunn! Here’s to decluttering and declouding… which is not an easy thing to do inside or outside.

• Reply Tracy August 7, 2009 at 5:20 pm

Beautiful – love your colors and choices! And congrats on coming back to life – I know exactly what you mean, and it’s not so bad out here… ;)

• Reply Libby August 7, 2009 at 6:25 pm

Hi Ingunn,

I had no idea you suffered from depression. Glad you’re putting it behind you. You always seem so happy and positive and out there living life.
    Now, your home is just beautiful. I LOVE it. Nice and cozy and cheerful. Definitely a place I’d love to hang out in. I’m rather jealous – a lovely home to live in and a beautiful place to go for hikes. Plus your pups to give you love and cuddles :-).

Libby

• Reply sharon August 7, 2009 at 8:54 pm

love your space, and the process behind the cleaning and decluttering. I think its true when they say decluttering your home is good for you mentally – everything feels so fresh! mind you, am yet to take my own advice – but as its not spring here yet ;-) and am also on the same page as you regarding ill-fitting clothes: BAH indeed (for many reasons!) thanks for sharing with us!

• Reply Kim M August 8, 2009 at 6:07 am

I’m glad you’re feeling better and enjoying life. Not wasted because you wanted to but it is something you can’t hit a switch and then you’re ok and sometimes people don’t understand that. From the outside looking in it may seem you have everything but you need inner peace and understanding to get through it. You are admired, inspiring, beautiful, creative and needed. Thank you for letting into your world and climbing that mountain.

• Reply Karin August 8, 2009 at 9:08 am

I love how clean, calming, and yet fun this room is! Your paint color is really great too. And those shelves you have! Are those all CDs, DVDs, books? I wish I had a wall to fill with shelves but we have way too many doors and windows in our little house. Thanks for sharing these photos. Can’t wait to see more. :-)

• Reply elinjanne August 8, 2009 at 2:24 pm

Decluttering is good for the soul. I have declared my own war. Coming home from work this evening my first thought was; Man, I`m losing this battle.
    But, Ingunn, you are winning your battle!

-elin-

• Reply Erica Hettwer August 9, 2009 at 1:51 pm

I lust after the wall color in your living room! :D

Glad you’re letting your home reflect your new outlook and health!

• Reply Christina Smith August 9, 2009 at 6:16 pm

You have a beautiful home! I love the colors in your home! Thanks for sharing this with your readers! I’m glad you were able to check out our blog the other day. We are only a ferry ride away…

• Reply Samantha August 11, 2009 at 10:06 pm

Your space is so lovely and inviting. The wall colors are fresh and new, just like your new outlook on life. I hope you feel better and better with each passing day. Thanks for sharing your journey with all of us :)

• Reply Patty O'Malley August 12, 2009 at 3:01 pm

You’ve inspired me to get decluttering my own home. Yours looks so fresh and inviting. Glad to hear you’re feeling better. I would never have guessed you were depressed; you always seem to be upbeat.

• Reply attatsadvople November 25, 2009 at 12:52 pm

Through you representing details. It helped me in my task

• Reply Sonia Mascaro November 24, 2010 at 11:01 am

What a beautiful house! Very charming and chic!