3923746893_ed6a1cd23b_b
Alpine Lakes Wilderness, Backpacking, Hiking, Top Trip Reports

Tuck & Robin Lakes

I’m officially not allowed to whine about our hiking season anymore; last weekend was ridiculously summery (ok, I’m allowed to whine a little bit about how hot it was) and we were treated to a perfect sunrise up by Robin Lakes.

More, up, again

The hike up there seemed harder than the stats implied – I’m going to go ahead and blame it on the heat since even JK was exhausted – and the trail is a schizophrenic mix of flat and wide, steep and narrow and downright scrambly, but man alive was it worth it.

My mans

Freshly caught nutrias at Robin Lakes

Photo #347 of this view

We knew that this place is popular, but it was still surprising to see tents dotting every available surface around the lake. The really weird thing was that most people didn’t get up to see the sunrise – they must not have realized what they were missing…

Tahoma says good morrow

I’m becoming more comfortable taking photos now (the trip to Tank Lakes was good practice) instead of just handing JK the camera. Just one little step on the road to learning that I don’t necessarily suck at everything.

Daniel, you're a star

I took about 200 shots of the sunrise (seriously) before we snuck back into the tent to get some more sleep.

I'm cute

We had planned to scramble up Granite Mountain and check out some of the other lakes in the area, but instead we escaped the heat by napping and swimming. I loved just hanging around the lake, being lazy and talking to JK. I’ve been feeling tired and down in the dumps lately, so the endorphins, sunlight and good conversation did me a world of good. Our personal camp goat (we named him Aberforth) made it even better.

Soaking up the sun

Brrr

In the early afternoon we reluctantly packed our stuff and headed back down, stopping to swim in some of the lakes on the way. It was one of those perfect days I wish I could just bottle up and relive whenever things seem hopeless.

Pretty pretty pretty

Antenna-ear and thumbs up

complete photo set on flickr

• Reply marit September 18, 2009 at 12:18 am

Hi Ingunn,
    i’m Marit from Germany and im curiuos: what camera do you use and what lens? We hike a lot here and my photos never turn out so clear and crisp. Would you like to write about your photoshop process??
    thank you for answering!
    marit from dresden, germany

• Reply melanie September 18, 2009 at 4:58 am

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, your photos just wow me every time… amazing captures!! And NO, you do not suck.

• Reply Hildegunn September 18, 2009 at 9:18 am

Veldig nydelige bilder!
    Jeg fatter ikke at det er mulig å ta så flotte bilder en gang!
    Tusen takk for at du legger ut og gjør det mulig for så mange å se de flotte bildene dine!

• Reply Christina Smith September 20, 2009 at 10:07 pm

I have to say (again) how gorgeous your pictures are! My husband drools over them, too! I so enjoy looking at your blog and seeing what you are up to. You are a brave hiking woman! Ha!

• Reply nabon September 22, 2009 at 8:21 am

Å, elsker bildene dine! Det er så mye flott utsikt! Veldig bra redigert også! Klare og rene farger, fine kontraster!

God tur, neste tur!

• Reply Jason Z September 24, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Hi Trail Snail,

Just wanted to send a quick thank you. You’ve been an inspiration this past summer to a number of hikes me and a friend have been on in the PNW.

We did a one way trip up Panorama Ridge in BC, camping overnight on the ridge. And we just returned from topping out at the epic DipTop Gap. We even made a summit attempt at Mt. Daniels a few weeks back, but fear got the best of us as we made our way along the hairline ridge and decided to back down.

Keep the photos and the trips coming. Maple Pass and Wing Lake look to be our final backpacking adventure in mid-October.

Best,

-Jason

• Reply Ingunn September 26, 2012 at 11:27 am

Jason, that is awesome to hear – now you’re making me feel lazy since I’ve only been out on two(!) short backpacking trips this year! I was supposed to climb Daniel a couple of weeks ago myself, but our dog ended up in a cone again, so we went for a dayhike instead.

You’re going to love Wing Lake, especially if you hit it right during larch season!