3976552116_67ce4240fe_b
Scrapbooking, Tips and Tricks

Phantastic Phonts

I’ve noticed that on most of my recent scrapbook layouts, I’ve printed computer fonts as titles instead of using scrapbook products. This is a consequence of my somewhat paradoxical role as a lazy perfectionist – I can’t stand the look of crooked, wonky titles, so instead of spending and hour nudging unruly letter stickers around until they look absolutely perfect, I spend 20 seconds doing it in Photoshop instead.

I love fonts, they’re so pretty (well, some of them). Unfortunately I tend to hoard them, so my font list in Photoshop is getting unmanageably long (does anyone know of a way to make my favorite/most used fonts stick to the top of the list in Photoshop like they do in Word?) – yet I keep going back to the same ones over and over again.

One of my favorite things to do is mix fonts in my title – especially when I sneak a handwritten font in there (apparently I also have a penchant for bad puns):

So tarn beautiful

I love printing the title directly on a photo, but sometimes I’ll make it overlap (I’ll make the design in Photoshop, print half of the title on the photo and the rest on cardstock, then piece them back together) so it looks like I used letter stickers:

Besseggen

Sometimes I’ll just use the outline of the font to mix it up a little. In Photoshop, set the Layer style > Stroke to whatever color and thickness you want, then change the main color of the font to your background color.

Pea Soup Lake

Of course one of the best things about using computer fonts is that you never run out of characters (unless you run out of ink, which tends to happen at the most inopportune times) – it’s perfect for mini albums where you’re using the same style on every page. I can add extra pages to my Southwest album two years from now and not have to worry about finding matching stickers. Huzzah!

Hiking Among Hoodoos
Ephemeral Arch

For all my talk about what a lazy scrapbooker I am, it’s not actually so much about the laziness after all. It’s all a way to make scrapbooking easy and quick enough for me to continue with it as a hobby.

The honeymoon period between me and scrapbooking is definitely over; I no longer swoon over patterned paper or pay any sort of attention to new releases (when was the last time I even bought anything new?), and I have lost my creative drive to come up with fancy, new layouts every time I sit down to make a page…but I still love this hobby and what it stands for, and I love doing something with the bazillion photos JK and I take and the memories we make – and being lazy (oh, let’s just call it efficient!) allows me to keep doing that.

• Reply DianeH October 7, 2009 at 1:38 am

Ah, white cardstock, computer & photos…my favourite way to scrap!!!
    The beauty of your style of scrapping is that it will be timeless!
    Thanks for posting your pages…you are my favourite scrapper…it is ALWAYS about the pictures and the stories…the way I believe scrapping shoud be. Oh, and I do like your taste in pp…always a great blue!!
    TFS

• Reply Sylvi October 7, 2009 at 1:43 am

Du/dere tar fantastiske bilder! ….det ville vært synd å ødlegge de med stæsj som ikke hører hjemme – syns jeg ;) Tusen takk for tips til fonter!

• Reply Anette S October 7, 2009 at 3:07 am

Åh! Det at fontene jeg har brukt ikke havner øverst i photoshop irriterer vettet av meg! Mange fine fonter! Jeg bruker mer og mer tid til planlegging på pcen når jeg scapper. Vil ha med mer bilder på LOene mine og da må jeg planlegge størrelser!

• Reply melanie October 8, 2009 at 6:13 pm

Cool tip about the outline font, I’ll have to remember that. What’s that ‘pea soup’ font? I want it! I totally get what you’re saying about scrapping. I feel I’m heading that way too somedays. In any case, I love all of these, they’re simple, pure, and they showcase your amazing photos 100 times better than with a ton of stuff added to the pages.

• Reply sharon October 9, 2009 at 3:24 am

I like your kind of “lazy” – I think I would prefer to call it efficient as well! because that is what it is! you do simplicity so well. Keep on sharing with us (please!) you are very inspiring – and the photos are breathtaking!

PS “embiggen?!” made me smile – I guess you mean enlarge? :-)

• Reply Christina Smith October 11, 2009 at 8:05 am

I think I’m going to have to hoard some of these fonts, too! Ha!

• Reply pen* October 18, 2009 at 9:37 am

your pictures are amazing,
    and they speak for themselves…
    so it’s great you have created a way to ensure you keep displaying them and sharing the stories they tell – because it looks awesome.

• Reply gladie October 23, 2009 at 1:16 am

Takk. Hadde du visst kor lei eg e av restealfabeter! Lager jo masse digitale LOer, men av en eller annen grunn er jeg elendig til å bruke fonter på papirLOer. Snodige greier. Jeg skal jammen dra inspirasjon fra deg og bruke PCen til å skrive teksten – og tittelen samtidig, det er jo egentlig genialt, bare man husker på det ;) Og når det gjelder design så er du enkelt og greit uovertruffen, så hvorfor endre en vinner-resept? (øh, går det an å si det på norsk??? vel). Nei, lazy er det siste jeg ville kalle stilen din, mye bedre med effektiv – og grådig lekkert. Ha en topp helg :)

• Reply Hugh Klund September 18, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Terrific paintings! This is the type of information that should be shared around the net. Disgrace on Google for not positioning this post upper! Come on over and consult with my site . Thank you

• Reply seo January 31, 2012 at 10:13 am

Thank you, I’ve been looking for facts about this subject for ages and yours is the best I’ve found so far.

• Reply Giulia March 20, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Love your way to scrapbook! Love your photos and your layouts!

Bye from Italy!