The pups

Healing hound

Since our regular vets couldn’t find out what was going on with Bobby, we ended up taking him to a neurologist. Diagnosis: canine meningitis. Eeep! At least now we know what it is and what to do about it. Bobs will be taking steroids for a couple of months, and then hopefully he’ll be all healed.

He actually started doing significantly better within 24 hours of his first dose (and after three days I caught him trying to hump Wellie – must be the ‘roid rage)! It’s so good to have our old Bobby back – and it’s such a relief to see him eating again. As you can see, we definitely need to fatten him up after a month and a half of being sick.

Skinny Scabbers

Part of Operation Lard Dog was to make our annual batch of holiday gingerbones for the dogs. Bobby and Wellie (and certain other stout friends of theirs) love these, especially the ones shaped like Italian Greyhounds. If you want to make them for your pups, you can find the recipe here (it’s from an old issue of The Bark magazine).

For the pups Yoink!

• Reply Lisa (WildCelticRose) December 15, 2009 at 8:22 pm

Oh sweetie, you said he had lost weight, but I had no idea it was that bad.

How terrifying for you.

I’m so glad he got a diagnosis and is getting better!

• Reply Susan C. December 15, 2009 at 8:38 pm

I’m glad that y’all have gotten a diagnosis!! He’s so skinny… aww!! I wish all the best in his recovery… fatten him up! =D

• Reply Erica Hettwer December 15, 2009 at 9:16 pm

Oh, my! Poor Bobby! Fatten that little boy up! (I’m so glad you guys found someone to find out what was wrong with him!)

• Reply Tracy December 15, 2009 at 9:26 pm

Oh, your poor boy! I hope he likes his cookies. That recipe looks fun… I might try it for my dogs, too.

• Reply Libby December 15, 2009 at 10:52 pm

Hi Ingunn,

SOOOOO glad you got diagnosis and even better, a treatment. Poor little Bobby. I’m sure with lots of love and homemade cookies he’ll be back to his normal self in no time.

Libby

• Reply Ania December 16, 2009 at 3:47 am

Aww!! Deilig å vite han er på bedringens vei!! Trenger definitivt litt kjøtt på beina ser det ut til, ja :) GOD JUL og sånn da! (tidlig ute, hvem, meg?) :)

• Reply Lauren December 16, 2009 at 12:26 pm

Oh Ingunn!? How happy to have a diagnosis and relief in sight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Here’s to a quick, speedy & 100% recovery of the soon to be fatted dog! :) :) :)

• Reply nina December 16, 2009 at 2:17 pm

Oh my goodness – the poor sweetie! You must be so relieved to finally know what’s going on with him and have treatment. Good luck and a speedy recovery for Bobby!

• Reply Dawn December 16, 2009 at 2:47 pm

I check your blog often…your pictures are absolutely stunning. When I read that your pup was sick, I was so, so sad. I was actually afraid to check your blog because I was afraid you would lose him. I am so very, very happy he is on his way to recovery!!!!!
    Merry Christmas!

• Reply Tracy December 17, 2009 at 5:39 pm

So glad you can get Bobby on the mend now – going to have to try the ginger-bones recipe! :)

• Reply Samantha December 17, 2009 at 8:59 pm

I am SO HAPPY that you finally know what’s wrong with your little pup! I was very worried about him, and I’ve been checking your blog often for updates. Honestly, this is the best news I’ve heard all week! I’m sending Bobby healthy vibes for a fast recovery :)