Recipes, The pups

Green Monster Madness

Thank you so much for all your well wishes! Bobby is doing so much better; he’s eating up a storm and getting lardier by the minute. I think he might even be ready to go on some little walks around the neighborhood soon. He’s our little Christmas miracle!

Speaking of miracles, I have fallen in love…with a vegetable. I’ve had an aversion to spinach ever since a regrettable episode four years ago involving me, a salad, and some slightly soggy spinach that had been in our fridge just a tad too long. Did you know that when spinach is past its prime, it tastes like fish? Nas-tay.

Well, after reading about green smoothies all over Bloglandia for about a year now, I decided it was time for me to grow up, get over my gag reflex and give the Wonder Green a chance. That’s right – I’m putting spinach in my smoothies! I’ve adopted Angela‘s term for the concoctions, Green Monsters. The most shocking thing is that they taste good, and after having them for breakfast a couple of days, I actually started craving them. I usually only crave chocolate and potatoes (in various shapes and forms), so this was a welcome surprise.

Breakfast I like mushy foods too, mama Mango Monster

My basic recipe is:

Green Monster

• 2 tbs frozen berries (you can add more, but it will make your smoothie look very…brown)
  • 1/2 banana
  • 1 cup hemp milk (or soy/rice milk)
  • 4 cups spinach and/or kale
  • 1 scoop Amazing Grass (hippie superfood stuff)
  • a couple of ice cubes
  • a dash of cinnamon
  • In order to mix it up once in a while, I use different greens, add some extra stuff like parsley or cucumber, and I also made a very good holiday themed Green Monster where I used pumpkin instead of berries and added cloves and ginger. Mmm. I’ll have to make that one again for Christmas. For your first couple of smoothies you can use more berries and less spinach so you can get used to the taste.

I’ve been drinking these for breakfast for about a month now, and it feels great to know that I’ve consumed about 326 servings (ballpark figure) of veggies before the day has even begun. I’ve also had much fewer headaches and migraines even though I’ve been fairly stressed out these last few weeks, which makes sense since I am finally getting some nutrients into my body.

Popeye

Even Bobby likes Green Smoothies – when he was at his worst and wouldn’t eat any of the tasty things we tried to give him, I caught him licking the leftover smoothie in my glass. After some quick googling (sorry honey, “binging”), I found these pet safe green smoothie recipes and started making him a mini Green Monster every day. Whenever I used the blender, he would come up to me and wag his tail! It was pretty much the only thing he would eat before he got his medicines and his regular appetite back.

Hopefully eating all this spinach is going to make both of us as strong as Popeye (but without the unfortunate medical problems):

• Reply Christina Smith December 18, 2009 at 4:15 pm

I am SO glad Bobby is doing better!! I have been praying for him! It’s so hard when we go through stuff with our pets. I’m overjoyed to hear this news! On another note, I just love your pics. My husband drools over them, too!

• Reply Jennifer December 18, 2009 at 4:53 pm

I’m copying this recipe to try – i have a green aversion too. And great news about your Bobby – love your blog and real life stories. Thank you.

• Reply Lola December 18, 2009 at 8:32 pm

Ooh, I saw your pictures on Flickr and was hoping you’d share the smoothie recipe! I will have to try that, I could definitely use the extra veggies.

So funny you mentioned “binging,” my husband was just wondering if MS employees are supposed to use that as a verb instead of “google.” :o)

Glad to see Bobby is doing better – he’s adorable!

• Reply Silje December 19, 2009 at 12:41 am

Grønne smoothier er fantastisk! Jeg må sette i gang og lage det igjen til frokost jeg og, har kommet ut av rytmen igjen. Det gjør så utrolig godt for kroppen! Man blir kvikk, mer opplagt, også alle de fantastiske næringsstoffene! De trenger vi virkelig på denne tiden av året ihvertfall.

sv: Takk for fin kommentar! Og jeg ble ikke overrasket over å høre yogahistorien din, kropp og sinn går tett sammen og følelser kan poppe fram når man rører på muskler og puster godt. Og så bra du er i gang med “prosjekt antistress”, jammen ikke så lett å jobbe med seg selv på det området (syns jeg), men man får mye tilbake for slitet om man gjør en innsats :)

• Reply Solgunn December 19, 2009 at 1:14 pm

SÅ herlig Ingunn! Liker å høre at det går bedre med kjære Bobby som jeg har tenkt masse på og deg også såklart. Håper du finner tilbake til hiking spiriten igjen. Eller det gjør du helt sikkert. Naturlig at det er litt mer tiltak å komme seg ut nå. Merker det godt selv! Jeg liker derfor godt å gå små turer i nabolaget, bare komme seg ut en liten spasertur setter fart på endofinene.

Den grønne saken ser spennende ut! Jeg er ikke flink med å lage sunne drikker, men jeg elsker veggismat. Dessverre er det bare jeg som liker det så det blir helst å spise vegetarmat på restaurant og i ferier og sånn.

• Reply Libby December 19, 2009 at 4:53 pm

Hi Ingunn,

Glad you found a recipe that you like. As you know I love mango and tropical fruits and in my green smoothie. Never thought to give them to my pups. My Bailey is a BIG fruit and veg eater so I’m sure he’d love them.

Libby

• Reply Patty O'Malley December 28, 2009 at 3:11 pm

So glad Bobby is doing better. I love spinach so will have to try it this way.

• Reply Vera Bradley promo May 7, 2017 at 8:28 pm

Great beat ! I wish to apprentice while you amend your website, how could i subscribe for a blog site? The account aided me a acceptable deal. I had been tiny bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided bright clear idea