Hiking, Skiing

Skyline Ridge Redux

Happy holidays! I hope everyone had a good *insert your holiday of choice* celebration. I was a little concerned that Christmas would feel sad this year without having any family over from Norway, but JK and I (and the pups of course) had a wonderful time.

For us, Christmas begins on the 23rd, Little Christmas Eve. Since we knew we wouldn’t be getting a white Christmas in Redmond this year, JK took the day off so we could find some snow in the mountains instead. Out of sheer laziness, we went back to Skyline Ridge. I was there just a couple of weeks ago, but it’s short, easy, doesn’t require any planning, and it seemed like the perfect place for JK to try his new randonnée skis. I followed him on snowshoes.

Stevens Pass

We had been promised sun, but skies kept changing from blue to grey to white to yellow and pink, which made for some eerie light but unfortunately blocked our views to the north. As we climbed above the Stevens Pass ski area, we got some excellent views into the Alpine Lakes Wilderness.

Plank man Blue Stuart Sneaky Norwegian

The local views weren’t bad either – after listening to Alvin and the Chipmunks in the car on the way up, the snowy trees were all it took to finally get my into the Christmas spirit. Bliss!

(If anyone has any tips on taking photos of snow on overcast days, please share – mine always come out dull, grey and flat, even if I overexpose the shot.)

Skiing in a winter wonderland

Mount Daniel was looking particularly handsome and dramatic:

Daniel & Hinman

As we rounded the lake, I spotted a familiar white and black dog in the forest. It was Jasper and his dad, Tom, on the way back from a peakbagging adventure on the other side of the ridge. They joined us for the rest of our trip (even though it meant they had to go back up to the rock garden), which was good for me so I could have some company on the way down while JK skied.

Handsome Jasper Whee! God jul!

JK made it all the way back to the car without falling (or so he claims), and then we headed home to get started on the nut loaf and risengrynsgrøt…and the donning of gay apparel.

Santa Paws is comin' to town

• Reply Tracy December 29, 2009 at 7:25 pm

Funny – I also have a shot of father and furry son, yawning together, over the holidays! :)

• Reply Lisa (WildCelticRose) December 29, 2009 at 7:28 pm

OMG… Bobby’s got roid rage!

It’s good to see him feisty!

• Reply Ania December 30, 2009 at 12:37 am

Herlige bilder, da :D
    Mener du overeksponering ved å overeksponere de manuelle settingsene (shutter&apertuere) eller ved å bruke +/- knappen liksom? For det sistnevnte hjelper litt (sett den til ett eller to hakk pluss) innbilder jeg meg, så akn du eksponere bildene helt vanlig liksom. Eh. Mye hjelp i forklaringa mi, jeg aner ikke hvordan jeg skal forklare dette i korrekte fototermer :p

• Reply Vibeche December 30, 2009 at 12:22 pm

Nydelige bilder fra turen deres :)
    Jeg liker så godt å se deres flotte bilder og de gir meg en puff til å komme meg selv ut på tur og ta med kameraet :)
    Takk for at du deler :)

Ønsker deg og mannen et godt nytt år, og jeg gleder meg til å se masse flotte bilder fra dere i 2010 :)
    Klem

• Reply Laura December 31, 2009 at 3:54 pm

Happy Holidays and Happy New Year to you, JK and the pups. If you had wanted a white Christmas you only had to come north to Alberta. It has been cold and snowy for a while. Tonight (New Year’s Eve) it is going to be a chilly -25 degrees celcius or – 30 degrees with the windchill. I don’t think your snowy overcast photos look flat but I am not an expert just an avid admirer of your photograohy and scrapbook pages. Well, wishing all the best in 2010.

• Reply Andrew Luck T shirts September 17, 2013 at 6:41 pm

I just want to thank you for sharing your views and this information. I was glad when I landed here and saw the time you put into your blog. People could learn a lot from the way you present it and write. Thanks!!