Hiking, Mount Rainier

Bad timing…

…not that there’s ever a good time to get injured. Still, it would be nice to be able to enjoy this unseasonably amazing weather after weeks of grey skies and drizzle. Even the cherry blossoms are out! I would have killed to be able to go for a run today.

Pink(!) and blue(!)

Instead I am stuck on the couch playing Farmville and watching NBC’s craptastic “coverage” of the Olympics (you would think that living a hop and a skip from Vancouver would ensure the ability to watch the games live, but noooo).

Anyhoo, the top of my foot started hurting last weekend while I was snowshoeing, but I didn’t really think much about it until I went out for a run the next day. It got worse and worse with each step, stabbing pain every time I pushed off with the balls of my foot (which, as I learned afterwards, I shouldn’t be doing when I’m running anyway). Apparently I sprained something in the metatarsal region of my left foot and I’m just going to have to ice and rest (and curse the gods and everyone around me) until it gets better.

Brown Sno-Park Bye bye, snowman

Of course (since I am both stubborn and, let’s be honest, rather lacking in the brainal department), I went hiking this weekend. In my defense, a friend from Norway was in town and we started planning this trip in October. It was just a short hike up to High Hut to spend the night, an equally short hike back to the car the next day, and then a very short snowshoeing excursion to Paradise so the boys could go skiing and snowboarding.

The boyz

Sadly, the spectacular views we had been hoping for were replaced with rain, clouds, fog, blizzards and general shittiness – nothing like our last trip to High Hut. Still, it was better than staying home and playing Farmville…even though it probably prolonged my recovery time. Damnit.

Whee Ninja Smurf

Please excuse the whining nature of this post; I am currently deficient in endorphins, vitamin D and serotonin (and have spent an inordinate amount of time harvesting virtual asparagus), and I am clearly feeling the effects.

• Reply Josie February 18, 2010 at 1:09 am

You crack me up!
    I hope you’re not cracking up while you’re stuck at home though.
    Heal quick ~Jo

• Reply RawSierra February 18, 2010 at 9:27 am

I hope your foot heals soon! I knopw what it is like to be stuck on the couch – and meanwhile the outdoors is beckoning! I have never played Farmville though!

Get better soon! Judy

• Reply Nora February 18, 2010 at 9:32 am

Isj, kjedelig å være skadet, god bedring:) Jeg synes du kan bruke stillesittetiden på litt scrapbooking, er alltid så gøy å se nye LOer fra deg!:)

• Reply Libby February 18, 2010 at 12:04 pm

Poor Ingunn. Glad you still got to enjoy the hike with your friend. We’re getting fantastic coverage of the Olympics – but I did have to pay for the privilege :-). Hope your foot recovers soon and you’re back out there ASAP.

Libby

• Reply nina February 18, 2010 at 6:18 pm

Hope you’re feeling happier now that the Norwegians had a big day at the Olympics! I’m right in Vancouver and although I haven’t been able to take in the festivities yet (hard to do with 2 preschoolers in tow), we have been following closely. I saw that Norway overtook Canada today in the medal count… :( But good for Norway and the USA!

• Reply Bern February 19, 2010 at 12:26 pm

It truly looks like you belong out there on the leading edge of life and living. Your photos are fantastic and the weather is truly brilliant out for this part of the country. I hope your foot gets better soon and that endorphins provide you nourishment once again. Have fun this summer on your hike between Snoqualmie Pass and Stevens Pass. The central Cascades are truly awesome.

• Reply Wilson Deidrick May 11, 2010 at 11:21 am

Do people play farmville? I mean to tell you the truth with you I’m very surprised that farmville has lasted this long anyway. I admit that I did play it for a bit when it first came out but since then I just can’t fathom even trying it. Although I certainly know some people who are Extraordinarily addicted to it…