The pups

Good night, sweet prince

Just about 11 years ago, this little heartthrob was born:

Look at those eyes

That tiny, fuzzy rat grew into a very handsome boy named Bobby, and I fell in love with him and JK at the same time (some might say that JK lured me into his arms using Bobby as bait).

My scouts

After we stole him from JK’s parents, Bobby became our furry (well, not that furry) son. He even came to our wedding:

Bobs in a tux

Bobby was a perfectly healthy, happy dog until last year when he got very sick with meningitis. He somehow managed to pull through, and for these last two months he was like a young dog again. JK and I were amazed by how energetic he was, so it came as a complete shock to us when he suddenly collapsed and had a seizure in the dog park last Friday. We drove as fast as we could to the vet, but it wasn’t fast enough. Our beautiful little boy passed away in my arms.

I am so glad that both JK and I were there, that Bobs was so happy, and that he was in a place he loved so much, the dog park. Even so, I am absolutely devastated. Bobby was my constant companion through so many years, and I miss him so much.

Whee!

Thank you for keeping us warm at night, and for keeping me company through some very tough and lonely times. Thank you for going on walks with us, even though some of them were very long. Thank you for being so patient when there was suddenly a little brother in the house. Thank you for being the best little dog in the whole wide world.

Glacier nutrias

I’ll miss your weird little growl and how good your ears smelled, and that cute sound you made when you yawned. You were the most loyal friend anyone could ever have. I love you.

Beautiful Bobby

Happy trails, my beautiful little buddy!

• Reply Berit March 25, 2010 at 2:55 pm

*snufs*
    Trøsteklem

• Reply Solgunn March 25, 2010 at 2:59 pm

Det var godt å få en forklaring på hva som skjedde. Så godt å høre at de siste timene sammen med Bobby før han døde var så lykkelige.

• Reply Jaime Lynne March 25, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Ingunn, I am so sorry! I hope you find comfort and peace despite your loss and sadness!!!

• Reply aud March 25, 2010 at 3:28 pm

Oh Ingunn, I’m so sorry. I know Bobby was such a huge part of your life — many hugs and prayers are heading your way.

• Reply Helen March 25, 2010 at 3:38 pm

Ingunn, I welled up just reading your post….so sorry. what sad news.

• Reply Christina Smith March 25, 2010 at 4:04 pm

I am crying right now. Real serious crying. I am sending you cyber hugs!! I don’t know what else to say. (((HUG)))

• Reply Maricel C. March 25, 2010 at 4:24 pm

Sniff sniff… So sad to hear this. So sorry…

• Reply Tracy March 25, 2010 at 4:45 pm

What a beautiful post.

• Reply Aimee March 25, 2010 at 6:16 pm

So so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing your wonderful story and photos of Bobby, they were very touching and it’s wonderful that he was so loved by you both. Really warms my heart. Take care.

• Reply nina March 25, 2010 at 6:47 pm

Oh I’m so sorry to hear about Bobby! I remember your post last year when he first got sick, and being happy for you to hear that he seemed to be recovering. How heart-wrenching this must be for you and JK. Thanks for sharing his life with us, & take comfort knowing that he was well loved and will forever remain in your hearts…

• Reply Libby March 25, 2010 at 7:34 pm

So sorry to hear about Bobby. So sad when we loose our best friends. Just try and remember the good times – of which you had a great many.

Libby

• Reply Susan C. March 25, 2010 at 8:16 pm

Ah, tears welled up when I read this. I’m so sorry for your loss… I’ve enjoyed your scrapbook layouts for a couple of years now and I really loved the ones of Bobby. He was such a cute pup!! There are many of us that will miss reading about his adventures. Wishing you and your husband peace during this time.

• Reply Eli March 25, 2010 at 10:03 pm

Så utrolig trist! Godt dere var sammen med han begge to da det tok slutt. Mange gode klemmer og varme tanker til dere!

• Reply Ines March 25, 2010 at 10:11 pm

What a shock! My dog is looking at me at this moment and wondering why I’m sitting here with tears in my eyes. Completely understand your feelings. So sorry for your loss. They are so special family members!

• Reply Tina March 25, 2010 at 11:30 pm

I´m so sorry. Been there myself twice, and it never gets easier. The only good things is that we can consider ourselves blessed who got to share time with these faithful and lovely companions during such a long time.

It´s a good thing you have one furry friends left; that helps. Take care!

• Reply Mari March 26, 2010 at 1:24 am

så trist å lese!!
    Jeg sitter her med våte øyne!
    Jeg vet hvor mye Bobby har betydd for dere, og selv om jeg aldri har truffet ham , så føler jeg på en måte at jeg kjenner ham litt. Slik er det når han har vært ditt store scrappeobjekt:)

Jeg har vært inne og lest i bloggen din, og fulgt med på når han var syk, og ble veldig glad da jeg så det gikk bedre.
    Så dette kom overraskende:(

Jeg tenker masse på dere i denne tiden!

Klem!

• Reply melanie March 26, 2010 at 1:45 am

I’m so sorry. Your photos rounded up here are truly gorgeous. What a star he was!

• Reply Ann-Katrin March 26, 2010 at 1:58 am

Så utrolig trist! Har jo skjønt at dette er lille gutten deres og beunderer alle de flotte bildene du har tatt av han (og alt annet). Tårene strømmer på og føler virkelig med deg.

• Reply KathyT March 26, 2010 at 4:28 am

I’m so sorry for your loss. I have always enjoyed reading about your amazing adventures with your beautiful dogs, aren’t you thankful you have all these photos and this blog to remember him?

• Reply Lola March 26, 2010 at 6:37 am

Oh Ingunn, I am so sorry for you and JK! I know how hard it is to lose a pet. I know it sounds cheesy, but just remember that he’s no longer sick, he’s not in any pain, and he’s probably prancing around a field somewhere in heaven :o)

Also I have to say, I am a cat person, not a dog person, but I’ve often said that if I got a dog it would be an Italian Greyhound, and a lot of that is due to what I saw of you guys with Bobby :o)

• Reply Jodie March 26, 2010 at 12:56 pm

so sorry to hear of your loss. Our four legged family members sure own a piece of our hearts.

• Reply Beverly March 26, 2010 at 2:16 pm

So sorry for your loss. We just lost our beloved golden retriever a little over a month ago and I still mourn him.

• Reply Delia March 26, 2010 at 3:21 pm

Ingunn, reading your post makes me sad and happy all at the same time – he looks so happy and I can hear he was loved. They don’t need anything else.

• Reply Emm March 26, 2010 at 4:38 pm

Ingunn – so sorry to hear about your loss. Hearts and hugs….

• Reply Jo March 26, 2010 at 5:04 pm

A great tribute after a sad loss. Take care ~Jo

• Reply GeoTom March 26, 2010 at 5:34 pm

Beautiful tribute to a great little guy. ~Tom, Dani and Jasper

• Reply Tracy March 26, 2010 at 10:03 pm

I’m so sorry for your loss.

• Reply Dawn March 27, 2010 at 6:27 am

Words are never quite enough at times. I know your heart is heavy. I am sorry. Dawn

• Reply Iris March 27, 2010 at 6:37 am

I’m so sorry, can’t find the right words ….

• Reply Lisa (WildCelticRose) March 27, 2010 at 6:20 pm

What a lovely tribute.

I teared up reading it.

I am so sorry

• Reply Aina/sommer March 28, 2010 at 12:03 am

Dette var trist å lese!!
    Klem

• Reply Solfrid March 28, 2010 at 1:14 am

Å, så trist dette var… :(
    Varme klemmer til dere som er igjen.

• Reply Ruby (Linda) March 29, 2010 at 1:42 am

I’m so sorry to hear about Bobby. I’m going to miss seeing new pictures of him in your blog. He was clearly so loved and lived a happy life.

• Reply Anilu Magloire March 29, 2010 at 7:58 am

I know nothing I can say will make it better. I can only imagine how you must be feeling. He was a beautiful dog and I’m glad you got to enjoy him all these years.
    HUGS to you.

• Reply Samantha March 29, 2010 at 2:10 pm

Oh Ingunn, I am so very sorry for your loss. I cried just reading the title of your post knowing that what I was about to read was not happy news. You and JK gave Bobby such a loving and wonderful home. He always looked so happy in the pictues you would post. Thank you for sharing him with all of us. I know I will surely miss seeing him every now and then on your blog. BIG HUGS to you and JK.

• Reply Irene March 30, 2010 at 5:23 am

Så trist – men for en vakker hyllest til ham. *Klem*

• Reply Ellie April 2, 2010 at 11:18 am

Oh Ingunn, what a beautiful post! And what a cute baby picture of Bobby. This is definitely the first post that ever made me tear up:(. I’m so sorry for you guys and I hope you have a peaceful relaxing visit with your fam. We’ll take care of J-K & Wellie while you’re gone. Miss you and can’t wait to give you hugs when you get back (and the kitties want to give you hugs too:)

• Reply Matt April 24, 2010 at 6:46 pm

Wow that is so sad. Like so many others, I teared up reading it.

There is something about animals that just touches me (and lots of others, obviously) on such a deep level. This was a wonderful tribute to your loyal friend. Those tux pictures are great!

• Reply joanne smith (spagirl) May 25, 2010 at 3:30 pm

oh ingunn, i’m so sorry to hear this news. what a touching story of how you all met. there’s a line from a song i love… “i miss the day we met and all that happened after…” those furkids sure know how to tug at our hearts. sending hugs…. (ps: the song is from carole king’s now and forever)

• Reply kL June 9, 2010 at 9:04 am

i am so sorry ingunn.
    klem!

• Reply Kelly K July 6, 2010 at 1:42 pm

I am so, so sorry to read this. What a beautiful tribute to Bobby.