8385758738_187ce9e868_k
Hiking, Mount Rainier, Top Trips

Amazing Mazama

After about a year of planning to hike together, fellow nwhiker and hike-a-thoner Janelle and I finally made it happen. The destination was obvious – our beloved Mount Rainier.

Uh oh, clouds moving in

Janelle hikes more on that mountain than anyone I know, and like me, she never gets sick of it. We keep returning to the same places over and over again, but it never feels the same.

Janelle's home away from home

This time, it felt cold. Really really cold. (This seems to be the general theme of my trip reports lately, especially since I missed out on the latest inversion.)

We climbed up to Mazama Ridge just as the mountain decided to hide behind a curtain of clouds. We sat down for an early lunch and briefly considered just going home. But then, ooh! aah! magic started happening!

Untouched

The mountain reappeared, and at the same it started snowing perfect, tiny snowflakes, like someone was sprinkling glitter all over us.

Perfect snowflakes

Buoyed by the beauty, we abandoned all thoughts of leaving. In fact, it turned into one of those ‘we don’t wanna leave’ days.

Skin tracks

Luckily we could feel our toes again now that we were moving, so we were able to hang out in Paradise the rest of the day.

It don't get no better than this

Janelle is usually quite the early bird, so I was pretty pleased with myself when I influenced her to try a more Ingunnesque schedule – staying for sunset.

Paradise Inn

She seemed to enjoy it.

Happy Hikingqueen

This was definitely one of my favorite winter trips to Mount Rainier – I can’t imagine a better way to bond with a new friend.

Aaah!

• Reply laura January 23, 2013 at 12:41 pm

Just gorgeous photos…the snowflakes were awesome

• Reply Lisa January 23, 2013 at 1:52 pm

As always, I’m blown away by your amazing pictures. That’s crazy you were able to get a photo of snowflakes!

I haven’t been to Rainier since I was kid (grew up in Seattle) and never in the snow. I’d love to try it someday. We usually go to Bend for snow. Mt.Bachelor is great! So many good trails for all abilities. Mt. Hood is good because it’s so close to Portland but there’s more skiing than snowshoeing up there.

• Reply Janelle January 23, 2013 at 6:15 pm

You captured the mountain and me perfectly! I can’t wait till our next adventure.

• Reply Jeannie L January 23, 2013 at 11:45 pm

Just absolute gorgeousness. Love the photo of the snowflakes. Wish I had taken better ones as I recall my trip. Wish I can hike coz I’d love to make such a trip. Thanks for sharing.

• Reply jill i January 29, 2013 at 11:00 pm

wow, what a beautiful day, gorgeous photos! And that shot of paradise, can’t believe how deep the snow is! I stayed there last summer and hung out on the deck that is covered in about 10 feet of snow or more.

• Reply MegG February 6, 2013 at 1:25 pm

WOW you’re photos are incredible. I need to make a trip to Rainer in the snow. I’ve been in the late summer with wild flowers still in bloom, but not in the winter. Simply gorgeous!

• Reply Jane August 30, 2013 at 9:15 am

Hi there,
    My name is Jane and I’m with Dwellable.
    I was looking for blogs about Mazama to share on our site and I came across your post…If you’re open to it, shoot me an email at jane(at)dwellable(dot)com.
    Hope to hear from you soon!
    Jane