14053985174_0b561d9d18_b
Life, Pregnancy

Life is good

This tends to be my favorite time of the year anyway – longer days, freshly green trees, flowers everywhere, trails starting to feel like summer but not so hot yet that you feel like you’re going to die – but these last two weeks have been all sorts of excellent on top of all that.

Tulip tourists

First of all, my parents and grandma came to visit! My parents make it over fairly often, but this was my grandma’s first visit since 2007 – it’s a long way from Norway. It was extra comforting to have my family over now that there’s a pretty huge change coming up in our lives. It’s going to be hard to have all our relatives so far away while we raise our child, but at least my parents have already booked their tickets to come and help out in the early days (when JK and I will undoubtedly be freaking out that the hospital let us take this precious baby home as if we have any idea what to do with it).

OMG WUT

One day when my mom and I took the Wellie and Basil out for their walk, we FOUND A HUGE MOREL IN OUR FRONT YARD. And then we found TWO MORE. In our FRONT YARD. Do you realize how amazing that is? Gaaah! Also, morel season is coming up in the mountains, and my current snail’s pace is pretty much made for mushrooming.

Halfway there!

After my family flew back home, JK and I celebrated reaching what is hopefully the halfway point of pregnancy by going on my favorite hike so far this year, to our favorite spring flower trail, Sauer’s Mountain (I’ll get my report up soon, but go now, the balsamroot is peaking). I feel like I look rather large for 20 weeks, but I’m sure some of that can be contributed to the massive amounts of Norwegian Easter marzipan I’ve consumed lately – yet another reason why life is so good right now. Mmmm.

It's a girl!

Finally, and most importantly, we had our 20-week ultrasound, and our baby girl(!) looks totally healthy and thriving – and pretty damn cute if I do say so myself! After the appointment, I felt like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders. Now I can relax and enjoy the second trimester and what looks to be a fantastic spring season. I can honestly say that I’ve never felt happier, luckier, or more content in my life than I do right now. So yes, life is very, very good.

• Reply Lisa April 28, 2014 at 3:05 pm

Those ultrasound pics are so unreal!!!

That’s great they all got to come visit! Hopefully they enjoyed the pretty NW. :)

• Reply Ingunn April 28, 2014 at 3:21 pm

It’s crazy how detailed they are! I usually think 3D ultrasounds look kind of creepy, but when it’s mine, of course I think it’s adorable. ;)

• Reply Rachel April 28, 2014 at 5:24 pm

Wow! Love the hiking and family pics! I went to Deception Pass yesterday and it was gorgeous! I’ll have to check out Sauer’s Mountain though. You convinced me!

And congrats on having a girl! Girls are awesome, right? :)

• Reply Karen April 29, 2014 at 10:41 am

I just came across your blog and can’t wait to read more of your hiking adventures.

I am also an avid hiker along with my husband and son.

It is really hard to find female hikers that blog, so keep up the hiking and I’ll be reading along.

Oh, and congrats on the new arrival. Babies that grow up hiking learn to also love the outdoors. My baby is 19 years old and still thinks its cool to be with mom and dad when we are going somewhere to hike or paddle.

• Reply ewb April 30, 2014 at 10:52 pm

Wonderful stuff, Ingunn! So glad your folks and grandma were able to come by to visit and see the tulips – good timing.

Don’t worry about getting that baby girl home and knowing what to do, you’ll figure it out, everyone does, or does the best they can, which is almost always good enough. Plus, babies are surprisingly resilient.

Just got back from Missouri where the morels are popping out everywhere! Maybe an hour of walking the timber and we came home with two very full grocery bags. Plus dozens of ticks and more poison oak than you can scratch. But, still, morels. :)

• Reply Ingunn May 5, 2014 at 9:10 am

Karen, thanks for the note! I’m hoping our love of the outdoors will rub off on the little one (or maybe she’ll rebel and become a city girl).

Eric, I LOATHE ticks (who doesn’t), but even I would brave those little buggers for BAGS full of morels. Lucky!!