17377918688_ff601f8ba8_k
Hiking, Hiking with baby, Teanaway, Top Trips

Mother’s Day Weekend Part Deux: Iron Peak

First of all, before I forget: the Teanaway Road is in excellent condition right now, I have truly never seen it smoother. So go, go!

After having breakfast in camp and getting ready for the day, Nora was overdue for her morning nap. We drove over to the Iron Peak trailhead and got Nora all saddled up in her new ride, the Osprey Poco Plus. Now for the big question – would she sleep in that thing? Dun dun DUUUUN.

Let's do dis

The answer is yes, oh yes. She slept better than she does in the Ergo! In order to let her get the best sleep possible, we put on headphones and listened to some tunes as we hiked instead of talking. I forgot how refreshing it feels to listen to music when you’re all endorphin-high in the mountains.

New pack = snooze success

The only problem with the new pack was that Nora’s sun hat kept falling off, leaving her face and her delicate little skull exposed to the intense Teanaway sun. I didn’t tie the hat under her chin since she kept nodding her head forward to sleep and I didn’t want her to be strangled, but maybe I’m not giving her enough credit now that she’s not a helpless little lump of a newborn anymore. Any tips on how to deal with this situation?

Pretty trail

The trail switchbacked up, up, up as it always does, but it all seemed to just fly by. We kept a good pace, and I was in this giddy state of flow were the world was all glacier lilies and Rainier views and moving legs and a chubby, sleeping baby ahead of me on trail – the cutest dangling carrot ever.

No no no no

Once we reached the saddle, the blue skies and hot sun were replaced by a high cloud cover and a biting wind, so we retreated leeward to get Nora changed and fed while protected from the elements. Apparently milk is no longer a sufficient hiking snack for her, so she supplemented with some trees.

Approaching the summit

We added a wool suit and a warm hat to Nora’s ensemble, plus some stylish sunglasses to protect her eyes from the snow glare, then made our way up toward the summit.

JK, (Nora,) Stuart

The snow level this year is ridiculously low (considering we were hiking Iron a full month before we usually do it), but there was enough of it to be all postholey and annoying. On the way down, I elected to glissade even though I was wearing shorts, because snow up the butt is preferable to repeatedly postholing up to your knees and scraping the bejesus out of your legs. (I have to wear a dress to meet the King, fer chrissakes!)

Ridgewalk

Apart from the postholes, I loved being up on Iron again. We’ve gone every year since 2010 (except last year, because ow), and it never gets old. We usually hike it for my birthday, but since we might not have time for that this year, Mother’s Day was the perfect backup.

Happy hiker

Nora wanted to partake of her father’s summit libations, but had to make do with more milk and some pilfered bits and pieces of our soggy banana sandwiches.

Like father like daughter

We signed the summit register, snapped photos, took in the panoramic views, and just hung out until Nora started to fuss. She definitely needed a longer nap, so we packed up and headed down.

Iron Peak, now with babby

Nora slept from summit to car. Whoa. And we didn’t see a single other human on trail the whole day. Whoa.

She napped the whole way down

Best Mother’s Day ever. Okay, so it’s also my only Mother’s Day ever, but still.

Iron Peak | 7 miles | 2600 feet elevation gain –

First Mother's Day <3

• Reply Joanne May 20, 2015 at 11:25 pm

Seriously, your blog inspires me. YOU inspire me!!!

• Reply solgunnf May 20, 2015 at 11:38 pm

Hei Ingunn. Jeg måtte bare inn å kommentere dette med snorer… min minste er langt over babyalderen, men jeg må innrømme jeg fortsatt ikke bruker luer med snor på han. I dag finnes luer å få kjøpt som sitter veldig bra på hodet/over ørene og som er uten snorer. Da min eldste var liten hadde jeg ikke de samme valgmulighetene. Har du prøvd solhatt som ser ut som en caps med “gardin” rundt på sidene og bak? Den skal sitte nokså stramt på. Jeg var veldig fornøyd med den.

Herlige turbilder av Nora! Vi prøver å gå tur med snart 3-åringen, men han vil bare kaste stein i vannet. Snart 11-åringen vil IKKE på tur lenger i det hele tatt! Akk ja :)

• Reply Ingunn Markiewicz May 21, 2015 at 9:01 am

De har jeg sett, skal prøve en sånn en! Tusen takk for tips og innspill…apropos, hva slags klær brukte dere da dere hadde med baby ut i sterk sol og varmt vær? Er tynne, lette, lyse, langermede klær best? Kan jo alltids ha skjorts og t-skjorte på henne og masse solkrem, sånn som vi gjør på oss selv, men det er vel kanskje best å dekke henne helt hvis jeg finner noen klær som er luftige nok.

• Reply solgunnf May 21, 2015 at 11:08 am

Jeg pleide å dekke til huden og var nok litt tilbakeholden med solkrem, blir jo så usikker på hva dem inneholder? Tynne bomullsklær i lyse farger likte jeg godt å bruke som dekket hele huden som du foreslo. Jeg likte også å bruke tynn silkeull (silken gjør plaggene mindre ullete og mer “svale” (men hakket dyrere dog). Nøstebarn har både body med tynn bukse til eller hele drakter i silkeull. Nydelig og luftig kvalitet. Det fine med ullen er at de små som jo for det meste er i ro, ikke bli kalde om de svetter mye.

Nora har supre foreldre som tar henne med på tur. All ære til dere!

• Reply Melissa F May 22, 2015 at 9:31 am

So beautiful Ingunn! Happy first Mother’s day!

• Reply Misti June 8, 2015 at 8:32 am

Oh, I’m happy to hear she napped in the Poco. We have the Premium and haven’t used it yet. We wanted to once but opted not to because the baby needed a nap and knew he’d nap in the Ergo but wasn’t sure about the Poco. Good to hear!

• Reply Ingunn Markiewicz June 8, 2015 at 11:11 am

She really does seem to actually sleep better in it than in the Ergo, especially now that it’s so warm outside.

• Reply jill i June 9, 2015 at 5:00 pm

Didn’t know there was a register at the summit, missed it. Fun to see you out hiking and your great photos. Your Nora is so precious, what eyes! Happy trails.

• Reply Ingunn Markiewicz June 11, 2015 at 8:44 pm

I never remember which pile of rocks is the actual summit until I find the register. :o)