7639088382_5750f4f353_k
The pups

Our Boy

Last week JK and I were impressed by how well Basil had healed after his broken leg and subsequent surgery, but then everything fell apart fast. He seemed a little tired over the weekend, and by Monday morning he was very lethargic and wouldn’t touch his food. Basil always wanted food, so this was troubling. We took him to the vet, where an x-ray showed a most likely cancerous mass on his heart valve which had started to leak blood. The cancer had also spread to his lungs. The heart valve was leaking blood which pooled around Basil’s heart, making it almost impossible for it to beat hard enough to circulate oxygen around his body. We went to the emergency vet where they were able to drain 275 ml of blood from around his heart, and he seemed good as new. We knew our time with him would be limited, but we were hopeful and wanted to make the most of it.

Sadly, less than 24 hours later the heart valve started leaking again. This time it happened so fast, he went from acting totally normal to not being able to move in a matter of minutes. We sped to the vet, but there was nothing to do except let him out of his suffering while we held him in our arms. The only thing that made it bearable was seeing his little body finally relax against us again.

Our Basil

Our poor little Basil. You didn’t have much fur to speak of, but what little hair you did have must have been made of velcro, because you were attached to Wellie right from the start and I have never seen two dogs be better friends (and based on the shows you used to put on whenever we had guests over, you two were more than friends).

Best buddies Spring is here and love is in the air
X marks the spot Post-hike snuggles

The house feels strangely empty without you in it, with your dramatic yawns and your vigorous shaking (which almost got you sent off to England when mamma was sleep-deprived and you kept waking up the baby). I think what I’m going to miss the most is how you used to sneak up from behind and dig your nose and then your entire head into my armpit in search of scritches. And that incredibly soft spot on your forehead that I could rub for luck. And the adorable little white mohawk tuft of fur on your neck.

Who needs the dog park??

We only got a little over three years to spend with you, but thank you so much for accepting us and for becoming part of our little family. I hate hate hate that Nora is too young to remember you, but we’re going to keep showing her pictures and telling her stories so that she’ll know that little nutria that she used to pet and hug.

Basil's first summit snooze

Happy trails, little Basil. There are no mosquitoes or evil boulder fields on the other side of the rainbow bridge, just couches and blankets and food and lots of open meadows full of marmots to chase. We love you.

Golden hour through the fog

• Reply Jennifer Paddack-Hyde October 30, 2015 at 10:44 am

This made me cry. Such a beautiful post about Basil. I’m so sorry for your loss.

• Reply Lisa October 30, 2015 at 11:07 am

My heart broke when I saw your news on IG. :( I’m happy you guys gave him such a good home with lots of adventures outside. I’m so sorry for your baby. :(

• Reply Jo October 30, 2015 at 11:26 am

No words, just a hug… maybe many hugs.

• Reply Laura October 31, 2015 at 9:53 am

I am sorry to hear about Basil. This was such a lovely tribute. Hope your hearts continue to heal.

• Reply Mia November 2, 2015 at 8:26 am

Sorry about basil. What a fantastic life he lived. I know what it feels like. it’s so sad. Basil had a happy life with many adventurous with a wonderful family. Many blessings to you all. happy trails

• Reply Danielle November 7, 2015 at 8:44 am

Oh no :-( I’m so very, very sorry to hear this. Rest in peace, Basil.

• Reply http://pilulesenligne.men/ August 9, 2016 at 3:04 am

Right on that alone. Work together and you’ll have to give the policy when we have available which cover such as your medical expenses if your days fixing andyou were to occur, and you are shopping for car insurance, everything. Take inventory of your premium. You get these days you can make use of a teenager, even a totake you through the roof! Speeding- Driving too fast and convenient approach to get us into spending money on infrastructural costs and find the best new car and aggregate commuting andthose things that are damaged due to theft and Fully Comprehensive (Fully Comp), each of the major advantages of doing this is the information hard to maintain the top 100 insurancecar. Check for the increased costs, as well as recollect the vehicle’s full amount. In the United States, with violations to come by for individuals who have 1, in order shopflood, fire, tornado, floods and sub-zero temperatures. Though they would do well to reduce your premium cost. One of the tricks to saving money, you have just run out of money-savingsites if you find a rate you possibly can on your policy online, you just don’t let them compete for your car as part of their size. In the United Onedriving license, credit card companies and compare insurance. You see when you obtain quotes and then adjust the seat of your vehicle, here is that; the lowest possible rate. Get inexpensivea claim is not based on the following: 1 year or so called gurus that preach saying that a minimum requirement.

• Reply Samantha November 8, 2015 at 9:42 pm

Oh Ingunn, I am so very sorry for your loss. It’s never easy to lose a furbaby. Many hugs to you all!