_MG_6405
Challenge, Scrapbooking

One Little Word

The last time I picked a One Little Word for the year was in 2013. My word was present. I wasn’t really scrapbooking back then, so I didn’t participate in the community surrounding One Little Word, but I did manage to focus on that word throughout the year, and it actually ended up changing the way I see the world.

Focusing on the present allowed me to fully notice and appreciate all those little beautiful moments that happen throughout the day and that make up a good life. The afternoon sun filtered through the trees. The smell of onions caramelizing in the pan. Sitting down to drink a perfect cup of coffee. Having a laughing fit with JK over something silly. Finding happiness in all those little instagramish moments made me feel happier overall than I had in…forever.

I used to think that happiness was a constant state of being and that it was probably unattainable for me, but I’ve learned that no one is happy all the damn time. But happy people are generally content in their lives, focus on the positive, and find happiness in the little things. I tend to have a black or white, either/or view of the world in general (I’m totally working on that), assuming that a person is either happy or not happy. That is so, so wrong, and 2013 was the perfect time for me to learn that lesson. I was going through fertility treatments, getting the double blow of sad, hopeless feelings and out-of-whack hormones, but I still think of 2013 as one of the happiest years of my life. There were just so many good moments throughout that year, and for the first time I was able to really live in those moments instead of dwelling on the past (there was obviously still some worrying about the future, given the whole infertility treatment thing, but still).

Fast-forward to 2016, and I’m ready for another word. The one that immediately came to mind is grow. I feel like I have grown a lot since becoming a mother – I’m learning how to be less self-centered (this is an ongoing education, especially on these 30-minute nap days *insert frustrated emoji here*), and how to put things into perspective, which makes some of the things that used to seem huge and scary to me look a little less intimidating. But there’s a lot of room to grow, a lot of potential that remains untapped. I feel like I’m ready to step outside of my comfort zone a little bit. I’m going to be doing some things that are really hard for me, but if there’s anything I’ve learned over the last couple of years, it’s that YES I can do hard things.

First on that list of hard things? I, a massive introvert who is terrified by anything resembling public speaking and even loathes talking on the phone, said yes to be on a podcast! My natural inclination was to run screaming from that proposition, but I couldn’t say no to my favorite Scrap Gals. You can listen to the episode here (or in your podcast app) – I haven’t listened to it myself, because that would be horrifying, but JK listened to it and claims I didn’t embarrass myself too much (he probably just loved the comments that were made about him).

The second thing? Putting myself out there and applying for a spot on Ali Edwards‘ Creative Team – and I got it! I’m still amazed. Ali has been my scrapbooking guru for so long, so this is a huge honor for me.

There are much bigger challenges ahead though, and I’ll be documenting my progress and my successes (and very likely some failures) in my One Little Word album as the year goes on. There are some things I am really, really looking forward to, and some things that terrify me so much that my stomach is in knots just thinking about them. But that’s how you grow, right?

• Reply Tracy January 7, 2016 at 9:04 pm

Yay for you – I just downloaded the podcast so I can listen on my next trip!! :)

• Reply TracieClaiborne January 8, 2016 at 12:20 am

You are such an amazing writer. I really mean that. I wish you would listen to the show! There was a lot of giggling. You made us laugh! :) I love your OLW. Can’t wait to see what you do with it!

• Reply Ingunn Markiewicz January 11, 2016 at 4:01 pm

Thanks Tracie! And thank you so much for giving me this opportunity!

• Reply Gina January 9, 2016 at 11:44 am

Congratulations on pushing yourself and on you achievements! I look forward to seeing your projects on Ali’s site.

• Reply Hannah Brown January 9, 2016 at 11:46 am

Hi Ingunn! I was just introduced to you via the ScrapGals, and I am so excited I found you!! Your podcast episode was one of my top faves. I’m going to have to go back and listen again soon. I’m so inspired and I will definitely be following you from now on! :)

• Reply Ingunn Markiewicz January 11, 2016 at 3:59 pm

Oh man, thank you so much for this! I was so nervous about sharing the link, so it’s wonderful to hear that it was okay. <3

• Reply Hannah Brown January 11, 2016 at 5:09 pm

Oh it was wonderful! I’ve listened to all of the ScrapGals episodes multiple times, and yours was one of my top faves for sure. ;)

• Reply RitaQ January 15, 2016 at 10:53 am

I re-stumbled on you (not sure how???) but I think I recognized you from BPC waaaay back … CZ classes? DYL?
    Anyway… so happy you are scrapping & sharing again so I can ‘lift’. :) Thanks for keeping it simple. Curious as to why you don’t digi-scrap since you lay out your layouts that way? Ps.. do love what you did with Dec Daily. And the photos… oh my. Inspiring me to REALLY learn how to use my expensive DSLR. pps… assuming you hike with it? those can’t all be camera phone photos???

• Reply Ingunn Markiewicz January 15, 2016 at 11:01 am

Thanks, RitaQ! I’ve tried digital scrapping, but I just really like the look of paper products (and if I did everything on the computer, I don’t think I would be able to fulfill my crafty needs)! And yes, hiking (unless it’s just on local wooded trails) is when we consistently use our big camera instead of phones. It’s heavy, but worth it. :)

• Reply Esther A January 17, 2016 at 2:25 pm

Congratulations Ingun! I’ve been following you on flickr but didn’t realise you had a blog (duh). I’m such a fan of your (and your DH’s) beautiful photography and I love the clean way you scrapbook. You are a great fit for Ali’s team.

• Reply Gillian February 5, 2016 at 2:06 pm

I heard you on scrap gals so had to check out your blog, the post after this about hiking with your daughter has me all chocked up. I can’t wait to see your pictures and stories for the rest of this year. I’m Canadian so am waiting for the dollar to pick back up so that I can head to your part of the world for some hiking adventures, I’ll live vicariously through you for now :)

• Reply Ingunn Markiewicz February 5, 2016 at 9:10 pm

Oooh yes, come down! Where in Canada? The hikes I’ve been on in Canada have been gorgeous.