20160320_232341000_iOS 1
Challenge, Health, Hiking, Nutritarian, Running, Top Trips

Cable Line Revisited

I should probably write more about this, but I’ve lost quite a bit of weight in a relatively short amount of time (30 lbs since New Year’s), and the best side effect of losing that weight is how much easier it is to run without it. I mean, it’s pretty obvious that it’s easier to run when you weigh less, but I didn’t realize just how much easier it actually is. And how much more fun! It’s like a whole new world.

Misty Cable Line

So on Sunday I decided to test just how much faster I am now by timing myself hiking up (you can’t run up this thing unless you’re insane) the Cable Line on Tiger Mountain. This trail is just a muddy track that goes straight up the mountain, climbing 2100 feet in 1.5ish miles. The first time I hiked it, it took me about an hour and fifteen minutes. In 2013, when I was in what I thought was the shape of my life, it took me an hour and four minutes. On Sunday? 46 minutes. This is what my face looked like.

Incredulous Cable Line PR face

The best part was that I had tons of energy to spare when I reached the top, whereas earlier I would have to sit down, curl into a ball, and recover for a while. This time, I ate a date, admired the non-existent views, then ran down the mountain (taking the West Tiger 3 trail instead of the Cable Line, because I’m generally a fan of having functional knees) to brag to JK about my time and then hike a somewhat less strenuous trail with this adorable little hobbit.

Wee hobbit

Man, I cringe when I think of all the years I spent obsessing about how to shave ounces off my pack weight when I could have just dropped a few pounds of belly blubber instead.

Tiger Mountain posse

• Reply Andrea March 24, 2016 at 1:32 pm

Have you tried to “run” (as in run-hike) up the Section Line trail? That’s a good one to time yourself on. Nice job on the weight loss — very impressive. Determination!

(PS: when do you want to go for a trail run?)

• Reply Ingunn Markiewicz March 24, 2016 at 1:35 pm

Yes, we go there pretty often! It offers a little more variety than Cable…

• Reply Marie Worthing March 24, 2016 at 6:47 pm

Fantastic…well done!

• Reply Danielle March 27, 2016 at 3:26 pm

Congrats on the weight loss – go you! Also, I just saw some recent photos of Nora hiking (via your Flickr) and wanted to say: oh my goodness, she looks so grown up!

• Reply Ingunn Markiewicz March 28, 2016 at 7:44 pm

Thanks! Gaah, I totally owe you an email by the way. And yes, I expect her to head off to college any day now. :'(

• Reply Lisa March 27, 2016 at 4:19 pm

I love that she’s a little hiker now!! <3
    Congrats on losing weight. Your hard work is paying off. I really want to try trail running when I get back into things. There's a lot of cool places in Portland that you can do that and I just haven't. It looks like so much fun!

• Reply Ingunn Markiewicz March 28, 2016 at 7:44 pm

Me too! She’s even teaching me a thing or two about staying connected to nature. :)

• Reply jill i April 11, 2016 at 10:54 am

Fantastic! I think I’ve found some of that weight you’ve lost, and my aging knees are NOT happy about it. In fact, I have gained 20 lbs in the last 3 years (deaths in the family, boyfriend dumped me, stressful work, etc.) and really need too turn it around for the hiking season. Plus I got a backpack for Christmas and heck, would rather have that 20 pounds in the pack than on my body (convoluted but hope you catch my drift.) Would like to hear more how you lost the weight (besides all that trail running) and kept on track. p.s. your daughter is adorable!