Hiking, Hiking with baby

Heybrook Ridge – an almost brand new trail!

We discovered a new-to-us trail in January! And it’s actually a pretty new-in-general trail, too – it was finished in October! It’s called Heybrook Ridge, and it’s on the same ridge as Heybrook Lookout (go figure) near Index along US2.

Heybrook Ridge

I have ambivalent feelings about sharing trail info on social media, but (a) like three people read this blog and (b) I want to get other young families out on trail. This is a perfect hike for families with young children: short, accessible, with a great view from the top (just avert your eyes from the powerlines above you and focus on Mounts Baring and Index and Persis instead).

Heybrook Ridge

I was super happy to find a hike with views like this snow-free in January. We went on a day when JK had the day off but Nora was in preschool so that Lily could get some undivided attention from both parents for once, and she had the time of her life testing her trail legs for the first time – supported for the time being. But we definitely want to go back with Nora, the trail is short enough that she should be able to walk most of it on her own if we bring along enough motivational snacks. Maybe.

Heybrook Ridge | 3.3 miles | 760 feet elevation gain

Heybrook Ridge

Previous Post

• Reply Bob March 9, 2018 at 9:55 am

Wow! Thanks for sharing this Ingunn. It looks perfect for my wife and me. I bookmarked it! Thanks again!!

• Reply Ingunn Markiewicz March 9, 2018 at 6:47 pm

Aaw yay! I think you’re going to love it. The weather is supposed to be awesome the next couple of days, you should go this weekend!

• Reply CarrieH March 9, 2018 at 1:28 pm

Ha! I know what you mean about not wanting to share locations for fear of over-crowding. My husband and I have a favorite small town we like to spend our summer vacation at with the kids. Once it hit a major magazine as one of the best small towns, the house rental went up and the little town started to get crowded. Ugh. We still go, but we keep hoping people will find another “it” town. Love your hiking posts. We still have too much snow in the mountains, so have had to keep our hikes down lower. Good, but not nearly as inspiring. Thanks for sharing and good wishes for a better March (no more flu bugs).

• Reply Ingunn Markiewicz March 9, 2018 at 6:51 pm

All the trails close to Puget Sounds have become sooo crowded the last five years or so! Part of me is happy because I want everyone to experience the same happiness that I do in nature, but…it’s also really annoying to not even be able to find parking at our favorite trailheads, especially now that we have kids so we can’t get up super early to beat the crowds or go on the more strenuous trails. Thank you for the well wishes! March has been excellent so far. <3 Hoping to get out for a family hike this weekend, it's been too long now that I spend so many of my weekend days running instead!

• Reply edit-it.org March 12, 2018 at 11:28 pm

I think that it’s a great idea to go hiking! Thanks a lot for sharing! Love your hiking posts.

• Reply Francois March 16, 2018 at 9:40 am

thanks for your opinion. i played games for fun.

• Reply JaqueMateAteos March 16, 2018 at 12:22 pm

• Reply Laura March 20, 2018 at 6:40 am

I need to bring some motivational snacks along on my next hike, too!